The IT department’s role has been evolving for as long as they’ve existed, but the pace of change is new.
This survey report examines what’s changing for IT departments in Australia, how their organisations see them, as well as what the challenges and opportunities for them are in 2019.
Key findings from ‘The Transforming role of IT in Medium-Sized Australian Organisations’:
- Digital transformation is alive! But IT are being marginalised and are seen as ‘Enablers/Supporters’, rather than ‘Drivers’ or ‘Strategic’
- Managing security and business risk’ came out on-top in terms of Australian medium-sized organisation IT professionals’ focus, but IT professionals in the Australian mid-market aren’t doing enough.
- Most medium-sized Australian organisations have small internal IT teams and external support undertakes 48% of IT work and has a pivotal, evolving role.
- Just 9% of new technologies aren’t being fully utilised.
- Australian medium-sized organisations aren’t hot on Hybrid IT yet, but with increasing SaaS adoption, they soon could be.
- Allowing flexible working seems important, yet it’s growing and IT departments aren’t ready nor prioritising it
Who should read this?
- IT professionals looking to know the latest trends in their sector, understand what they mean for their role, and discover how they can take advantage of them
- Business decision-makers who want to know how the role of IT is evolving and what else IT departments can bring to their organisations
- Anyone with an interest in developing their career in IT.