Changing the default folder that Outlook uses to save attachments, as well as the fault folder that opens when you click Browse this PC on Outlook’s Attach File menu, is easy and can save you lots of time. Just be aware, also, that when you make the change, it will also alter the default folder for open or saving your other Office files, including PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
Changing the save attachments path
To change the default folder for saving attachments, you need to first edit the registry.
- Press the Windows key + R to open run command
- Type regedit and press ‘OK’ to open the Registry Editor
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options (please see below for the right version)
- Right-click on Options and create a new string value called DefaultPath
- Right-click on DefaultPath and select ‘Modify’
- Paste the attachment folder path in the Value Data. Click on ‘OK’
- Close the Registry Editor
- Restart Outlook.
This works with Outlook 2003 and later, but be sure to use the right Office version number in the registry path:
- Outlook 2016: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options
- Outlook 2013: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Options
- Outlook 2010: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Options
- Outlook 2007: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Options
- Outlook 2003: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Options
Open and save Office documents path
To change where Office applications open and save files, and Outlook uses for Insert Attachments:
- Browse this PC
- Open Word or Excel’s Options
- Select the the Save menu
- Change the Default local file location.